The Charles M. Tipton National Student Research Award recognizes the student with the most outstanding research project of the year. Download the 2013 award application here.
Award requirements include:
- Applicants must be enrolled or accepted in a graduate or professional program in clinical or basic exercise science or sports medicine at an accredited university at the time of application or must have graduated within one year prior to this award's application date. (For the latter, work accomplished before graduation should be submitted.)
- Applicants must be the principal author of an accepted free communication paper for presentation at the 2013 ACSM Annual Meeting. The abstract must be original research in exercise science completed for academic credit and should include the statement of the problem, methods, results and conclusions.
- Applicants must provide a letter of recommendation from the student's project director using the Letter of Recommendation from Project Director form.
- Applicants must be a current member of ACSM in good standing. This can include Regional Chapter membership.
- Applicants must not have received this award previously.
- Applicants must submit the application on or before the deadline. Applications should include a completed application form, copy of the accepted abstract, expanded abstract, biographical sketch and completed letter of recommendation.
Winners will receive:
- Complimentary registration to the ACSM Annual Meeting and World Congress on Exercise is Medicine.
- Complimentary hotel accommodations for three nights at the conference hotel, meals for four days (not to exceed $55/day) and round-trip airfare from your home city to Indianapolis.
- Tickets (two total) to the ACSM Annual Awards Banquet on May 31, 2013 in Indianapolis.
Awards are given based on the quality of the research project (evaluated through the submitted abstract and an expanded abstract) and the extent of the student's participation in the project.